Thursday 14 May 2015

Changes

Very tired after my first very sleepless night with the pump
Well as luck would have it, today actually marks 1 month in to a very big (and exciting) change in my life.

I'm now officially a PUMPER!

Moving on from MDIs for 20ish years, something shifted this year (can't quite pin point why, it just felt like time) and I made the jump.

The journey has been a bit bumpy so far though and I'm certainly no where near where I was hoping to be by this week. Things were looking great by two weeks in and then basically went to S@#$. BUT I'm still extremely hopeful and have been taking notes and pointers from a lot of you guys. I have faith it will even out soon! lol


A little of my journey so far...



Exciting times: unwrapping my pink pancreas


Having a rocky start with a bazillion lows

My first supplies order finally arrived 10 days after starting!

Discovering that sometimes my sites really despise a good sweaty workout
and keeping them in can be rather challenging! Especially when one can't even find
any proper tape and runs out of band-aids!

Spot the tubing!
Dressing for the pump is taking some practice.
There's been a lot of huffing and clothes throwing of late.
But I think I'm getting better... or maybe I've just been wearing the same things over and over.



On top of the general bumpiness, this week I've started developing rashes where the adhesive was when I take the sites off. I have just been using coconut oil or paw paw ointment but the last site is worse than the one before... Really hoping this is just a phase...

Also I need to connect with low carb, active pumpers. Its starting to get complicated, well more complicated than usual! Please comment below if that sounds like you so I can check out your blog or hound you for some tips!


Pumpin Jess x





This Post was written as part of Diabetes Blog Week 2015

Click for the Changes - Thursday 5/14 Link List.
Today let's talk about changes, in one of two ways.  Either tell us what you'd most like to see change about diabetes, in any way.  This can be management tools, devices, medications, people's perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing.  OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes.  Were they expected or did they surprise you?

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting the pump! I'm not low carb but did do a clean eating challenge. I was really active up until I got preggers last year so I could try and answer some questions for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley, I really appreciate that and will definitely keep you in mind as the questions come up on this journey!

      Delete
  2. The pump looks good! I'm not a pumper unfortunately (I'm from the UK so highly unlike to ever happen) but I am an active low carber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm enjoying it so far. I'm also enjoying your blog - loving your adventurous spirit AND the low carb info, keep it up! :)

      Delete
  3. I got to see the Medtronic 640 at a conference this year and it looks super cool. One of my criticisms of Medtronic in the US has been that their pumps hardly look different than they did 10 or 15 years ago. The 640 certainly changes that. I think that there is a huge learning curve to Medtronic CGMS, but over time most people are very happy with it. Hope everything comes together soon and you see more happy days and nights than the S@#$ ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laddie :) I'm pretty happy with the pump itself, but then this is my only experience with a pump so I don't have much to compare it to I guess! There's is still a lot of tweaking to be done but I'm pretty happy I can do it on my little colour screen at least lol.

      Delete
  4. Great blog, keep it going! I'm a type 2 but I understand what you're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the pump club! That pump looks so cool... if we ever get it in the US, maybe I will consider switching back to Medtronic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison :) I'm really liking it so far!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the blog comment. The one thing I like about dblog week is finding new and interesting bloggers! I rarely seek them out anymore.
    This post took my by surprise. I've been so anti-device that I didn't even realize that medtronic has created a REALLY fancy looking pump! shit... almost makes me want to go back to pumping... ALMOST. ;)
    Obviously you are from a foreign country because I'm pretty sure this thing ain't available in the US or Canada yet. I love it though... so snazzy! it's nice to finally FINALLY see that Medtronic has come out of their archaic pump styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :) I'm from Australia lol and I agree - it is a bit snazzy! A few people have already mistaken it for some sort of ipod. Still getting used to pumping but it helps that its easy and a bit vibrant to use.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jess
    I have been LC/HF/moderate protein since 2013 and love it and the result it has on my BGLs. I am very active and in a weeks time will be doing the Cairn's Half-Ironman using LC/HF to keep my levels stable. If you are looking for a type 1 group that follows this way of eating, join typeonegrit on facebook - they now have over 800 members and 2/3 of them have an A1c less than 6%

    ReplyDelete